I've been hanging out at the HF Boards, an online hockey forum for about a year now. I enjoy talking to Thrashers fans as well as fans from around the world. When we knew for sure that the Thrashers were leaving Atlanta, someone had the idea of having a draft for the fans. The moderators from each team's board were given a draft number and order in which they would pick. Someone even did a prospect report on us!
I am very pleased to announce that I went 8th overall to the Edmonton Oilers! Am I moving to Edmonton and forsaking all other teams? No, of course not. Being in EST time zone, it will be a challenge for me to watch all of the games, but I am committed to following the team! I've been interacting with their board members and they have been very warm and welcoming. So I WILL be doing the following:
- Watching as many games as possible
- Pulling for Edmonton over everyone except the Predators (thank goodness they aren't division rivals)
- Traveling to Nasvhille to see the guys play as well as possibly Raleigh.
- Traveling to Charlotte to see their AHL team, the Barons, play
- Blogging here with those pictures
I can't really explain it, but for some reason this has given me the most excitement and joy of hockey since finding out the Thrashers were leaving. I thought planning to go to Preds games would help, but it really didn't. Maybe because I usually go to Preds games anyway. This is something new for me, so maybe that's it.
Do you think it seems weird for a Thrashers fan to change to an Oiler fan? It is a bit of an extreme change, but if kind of makes sense if you think about it:
- Both teams have been rebuilding forever
- Both teams are usually near the basement
- Both teams have a good young core